Tuesday 25 February 2014

Open Letter To Arsene Wenger: Before We Cry Again—Written By Nigerian Arsenal Fan, Ayozie Paschal


arsene-wenger_1869548b
I hope its still in order if I wish you a happy new year Sir. You probably don’t know me, but I am a die hard fan of Arsenal and one of those who believe in some of your policies even though sometimes you do it to the extreme.
For some years now, Arsenal have been a mediocre club owing to our “flattering to deceive” tendencies, the boys play so well that the fans get the idea that we are going to salvage our long trophyless laden season only for us to do the “unexpected” and fall and probably end in our now usual fourth position in the table, though we have to wait till the last match of the season, selling our best players to our rivals, and seeing other teams snap up the rookies our scouts identify.
In England, no team plays better and sexy football better than Arsenal, but our inability of matching it with trophy has left much to be desired. Our team has always lacked an important ingredient every season, if its not a good defensive partnership, it would be a defensive midfieldier to provide shield or a clinical finisher to bury the ball in the opposition net(We have never lacked creative midfielders in recent years). Though injuries has played no small part in this. Then again, people always question your training methods and the credibilities of our physiotherapists because our players seem to be the most injured in the league.
When you signed Ozil last summer, if surely felt like it was all a dream because you are not known for spending big on a player. It was until I saw him in an arsenal jersey on 14th september in the match against Sunderland that it dawned on me that it was reality. His impact since then has been marvelous as he has lifted the whole team, even though I still feel we are yet to see his best and the reason is not far fetched, Giroud has not been as clinical as expected.
Now Professor, I hope you do may much attention from here on. Personally, I feel this is the best we have come so far in reclaiming the premiership title over the years, but there are just a few things we must do to ensure that. Arsenal needs a World Class striker, Oliver Giroud has done well so far, but if we had a better striker, our position on the table would be more cemented and more comforting than it is now. If we can get a striker in the form of Diego Costa, Pedro, Moratta, Lewandoski(though its now too late) and a few others in their class. Personally, I hope you got for Costa, because I think his release clause is good for a player of his quality and his quality is well known and his impact will be widely felt. We also need a good defender who will provide cover for Martesacker and Koscielny, because Vermalean has not impressed this term at all. Then finally, a young defensive midfielder wouldn’t be a bad idea at all, Flamini has done well so far but we need to prepare for when he is injured.
Now on a lighter note, I hoped you would have tried to sign Kelechi Iheanacho, I believe Arsenal could have been a better destination for him than City. Well is not late, their are still some other youngstars from the Nigeria U-17 team that are still available, Isaac Promise for instance.
I pray you come across this letter and take to my advice. I wish us the best of luck as I pray we lift the trophy come May, 2014. My regards to the boys.
Ayozie Paschal writes from Nigeria

No comments: